I’m sorry it’s been long since I last showed off my cooking skills. I have been pretty busy but it’s nothing political. Politics is not my thing. I’ll stick to my lane. Food. Today I decided to try out something really nice. “vikate vya nyama.” It’s such a lengthy process but I promise it’s totally worth it .
• ½ kilo minced beef
• 4 crushed cloves of garlic
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Salt to taste
• Pinch of black pepper
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 2 cups chopped onions
• 4 cups flour
• 2 cups of water
• 4 eggs
• 2 cups of ghee
To make filling
1) Combine meat with garlic,Cinnamon, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the onions .
2) Mix together and cook on medium heat.
3) Add lemon juice and cook till quite dry.
4) Remove from heat and leave to cool.
5) While the meat is cooling, prepare the dough.
To make dough.
1) Mix flour, 2 tablespoons of ghee, salt and 1 cup of water together to form a dough.
2) Add more water little by little.
3) Knead the dough for like 10 Minutes till soft.
4) Roll the dough into an oblong shape on a floured surface board and spread with a little ghee.
5) Fold up tightly beginning at the edge.
6) Seal well by bringing the edges together.
7) Even up by stretching it slightly.
8) Slice the roll into 10 rounds.
Make the pasties.
1) Beat eggs well and keep aside.
2) Mix onions with the meat.
3) Roll one ball of dough into a flat square the size of a big plate.
4) Spread a handful of meat evenly over the rolled dough and spread 1 teaspoon of egg over the meat.
5) Bring the opposite corners of the rolled dough together.
6) Seal with a little water.
7) Keep aside taking care not to break the dough.
8) Roll another dough ball to a size twice the size of the first dough but thinner.
9) Place the dough with the meat filling on top of the large rolled dough.
10) Gently fold the dough by bringing the edges together. Pinching the edges.
11) Seal with a little water.
Cook the pasties
12) Heat a frying pan on medium heat.
13) Place the pasties on the frying pan carefully and keep turning as they cook to avoid burning. Just like you’d cook your chapati.
14) When both sides are brown spread a tablespoon of ghee on both sides and keep cooking till both sides are evenly brown.
15) Remove from pan and place on a plate.
16) Wipe the remaining ghee from the pan.
17) Repeat the process until all the pasties are cooked.
Serve hot with some vegetables.
Feel free to share your findings. Tell me how it came out. Did you enjoy your pasties.